Friday, July 31, 2009

Granola Recipe

Here is the recipe:

1 cup honey
1/3 cup canola oil
1/8 tsp salt (I don't use)
4 cups of old-fashioned rolled oats (or a little more)
1/2 cup of almonds
1/4 cup flax seeds
1 cup cranberries, craisins, or raisins (or any dried fruit)
A dash of cinnamon and/or nutmeg (I do both, generously)

I vary these ingredients depending on what I have. Sometimes I use sunflower seeds and the original recipe calls for pumpkin seeds. Also, the only thing I really measure is the oil and honey.

Heat oven to 300 and grease a baking sheet. Combine honey, oil, and salt in small saucepan. Set over medium heat and stir until hot and blended about 2 minutes.

Mix oats, almonds, and various seeds in large bowl. Stir honey mixture again. Drizzle over oat mixture while stirring. Continue stirring until oats are thoroughly coated.

Spread mixture on baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes. Stir. (This is when your hair catches the scent.) Continue baking, stirring every 5 minutes, until golden brown, 10-18 more minutes. I go for 10 or 12 minutes.

Cool and stir in raisins or dried fruit. It takes a while to dry and cool. That's when it will become crunchy and like granola. I stir periodically while it's cooling then store in an airtight container.

Wah lah! Let me know how yours turns out!

1 comment:

mary leigh said...

oh man. i can't wait! thanks for sharing!